Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Discovering the Path Ahead

The past few days have been a few of the most important of my life. Over that time I've been able to reflect on what it means to be a family man, a friend, and a community leader. It has been an opportunity to better define who I am, not for the public, but for myself.

Today I'd like to share some of those thoughts as I contemplate how I can best serve our community.

Recent media articles implicitly posed the question: should I run for Mayor of the City of London? A move that has been called bold and needed by some, arrogant and foolish by others. I've heard from many who say they believe in me, and from some who are sure I would fail.

We are often told there is no middle ground in leadership, but that's it the exact opposite of what I believe. I believe in compromise. I believe that diverse opinions are needed to make the best decisions. So I thank those who expressed support as well as those who did not. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reach out and share their thoughts.

In being true to myself and my views on leadership, the decision I have to make on what to do next will not be made as traditionally expected. I enjoy serving my community so it is with the community that I'd like to decide how to serve.

I want to hear what Londoners think of where I should go and what I should to do best support moving our city forward. The question is not should I run for Mayor, yes or no. As with many decisions that have to be made, in life as in politics, it isn't that easy or simple. It may mean supporting another candidate in a better position to advance community empowerment. It may mean continuing to serve organizations like the Library to be a strong advocate for community services. What I have learned is that ego is the enemy of good governance and sound decision making. I fully accept the fact that there may be others in a better position than I to achieve political success. If the community asks them to lead, and should they choose to seize the opportunity and take up the call, it may be that I can best serve my community by standing with them.

I say this because I do believe that this is our opportunity for change, not the change we talk about every election, but a real shift in the balance of power and status of the citizen in our community. It is a rare and fragile opportunity for an important step forward in representative government. You see, we no longer trust government, but for the first time since representative government came into being citizens have the capacity to rebuild that trust, by taking on some of the responsibilities of government themselves.

I genuinely believe in citizen empowerment; that citizens can and must play a much greater decision making role in their society. We can do this by rebalancing power away from elected officials and back into the hands of our citizens. Technology and mass-communication have levelled the playing field between citizen and representative. This allows for citizen empowerment mechanisms to become real options so that things like participatory budgeting and authentic engagement are within our capacity to achieve... if those in power simply choose it as a path. If citizens can't trust those who represent them, then citizens need their representatives to trust them with increased decision making powers. When government believes in its citizens and calls on them to take an active role in public decision making, we can begin to rebuild the people's trust in the political life of a democratic society. Of necessity, it would start off small, and grow as successes are achieved. This is what I believe in and I'm using this opportunity to speak up about it.

You should speak up too. Ask those who you believe should lead to do so, and then let them know what you want, expect and demand from them. Because politics does matter, and change can happen if we collectively exercise our political will. Talk to your friends, family and neighbours about the kind of community you want and ask for more of a say over your ability to shape the community you want to live in.

I've been challenged to decide what role I should play in our community. I challenge you to do the same. Take the opportunity to seize your citizenship and think about the role you want to play. I am happy to serve, in whatever capacity moves us forward together and what I do next is, in great part, up to my community. 

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Josh Morgan
@mrjoshmorgan
www.joshmorgan.ca
E-mail: joshua_morgan AT hotmail DOT com